Highlight: Gaza University
January 12, 2012 § 2 Comments
IUPUI and Gaza University, just like many other partnerships is a unique one. However, this particular videoconferencing class I am taking this semester, probably because I have never been in such a class before is very intriguing. We get to discuss closely with students from Gaza University (also called Islamic University of Gaza); not just on their perspectives of what really occurs in the Middle East but discuss prospects of peace in the region as well. I am looking forward to a very interesting and eye-opening experience in this class. Updates will also be posted as they occur.
For now; very quick facts on the university
- it was founded in 1978 as an independent institution of higher learning for Palestinians on the Gaza Strip
- award undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and other higher diplomas in various disciplines
- recognized by and is a member of the International Association of Universities, Community of Mediterranean Universities, Association of Arab Universities and Association of Islamic Universities.
- They have a large and significant amount of labs for fields like microbiology, biology, chemistry, optics, IT, hematology, genetics.
- In July 2008, the University of Virginia took legal action against the university for allegedly imitating the website design of the University of Virginia on their website.
- In December 2008, the Israeli forces executed six different air strikes on the University claiming there were strong ties to HAMMAS with the labs in the university being used to keep their weapons. These allegations were proven to be false by the UN Fact Finding Council in Gaza.
For more information on the school click here